Lesson 5 - What happens when a volcano erupts?
In this lesson, we are going to be looking at what happens when tectonic plates move towards each other and create violent volcanic eruptions. There are some reasons people should be vary careful near volcanoes, but also why many people choose to live near them.
Watch both videos on BBC Bitesize, before completing one of the tasks below.
How many reasons can you think of to explain why some people do and some people do not want to live by a volcano?
Choose one of the activities below, or create your own to express what you now know.
- Write a list of reasons for and against living near a volcano. Which side has the most reasons?
- Would you like to live by a volcano? Have a debate with someone you know- can you convince them that your idea is the best? Perhaps you could ask your family to vote after hearing both sides.
- Make a poster to show the good and bad sides to living so close to a volcano.
- Film a news report describing a volcanic eruption. Did you speak to any witnesses? Are they pleased or upset about what has happened? What will they do next?
- Write a short story about someone who lives near an erupting volcano. What might they see and how might they be feeling?